Do you think your dog or cat may have been the victim of pet poisoning? If you have reason to believe that your pet was killed by a type of poison, chemical or drug, Private Lab Results offers several pet poisoning tests that can help you find answers.
We can test for the 5 most commonly found heavy metal poisons or toxins-arsenic, lead, mercury, chromium, and cadmium. Pets may be exposed to heavy metals in a variety of ways. They can eat chips of lead-based paint or inhale the lead based dust. Also, they can get into garbage or pick them up from the soil. They drink the same water we do, so excessive lead, copper, or chromium in the water makes them sick too. For heavy metal testing we’ll need 100 grams or 3.5 oz of food.
Did you find an empty food can or partially eaten food? If so, we can test it for a variety of drugs and household chemicals and poisons. Do you think someone put something in their water? If you have some left we can test it. To test leftover food for drugs or chemicals we’ll need 60ml or about 1/4 cup. If you think the poison was in the water, we’ll need 15ml or at least a tablespoon.
Every year in the US there are over 125,000 reported cases of pet poisoning. Sadly, many of these are accidental poisonings. Symptoms of pet poisoning include neurological problems, gastrointestinal issues, as well as respiratory & cardiac distress.
We can now test water or food for antifreeze (ethylene glycol). If you think your pet was poisoned with antifreeze and you still have some of the food or water, send it to us. We need 20 ml of liquid or 2 tablespoons of food for testing. Seal the sample so it won’t leak and send to us for testing. $100
Was your dog or cat intentionally poisoned?
- Was your home recently broken in to? Burglars commonly poison animals that alert their owners or neighbors of intruders.
- Are you or a family member going through a divorce, break up, or separation? Sadly, estranged partners will sometimes kill a pet for revenge.
- Has a neighbor or landlord made threats to do harm to your pet? Unfortunately neighbors have been known to poison pets they don’t like.
- Has your pet recently visited a park? Recently there have been reports of pet poisoning across the US in public and dog parks
Was your dog or cat accidentally poisoned?
- Do you own these plants like tulips, azaleas, rhododendrons, daffodils, or sago palms?
- Do you use these over the-counter medications like herbal supplements, Naproxen, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen.
- Do you use these prescription medications such as blood pressure, anti-inflammatories, or antidepressants?
- Have you recently given your pet any flea and tick products, painkillers, or de-wormers?
- Have you recently spilled or used bleach, pool chlorine, antifreeze, paint thinner, insecticides, lawn and garden products, or rat and mole poison?
- Have you given your pet any Macadamia nuts, artificial sweetener Xylitol, onions, guacamole, garlic, chocolate, caffeinated coffee, alcohol, grapes/raisins?
Collecting evidence for testing:
- If your pet was not taken to a veterinarian prior to or after their passing, any fluids such as urine, blood or saliva are all excellent sources for testing. Collect as much of the saliva, vomit, blood, or urine as you can using clean swabs. If the fluids are on a cloth or towel you can send that for testing.